“Caitlin Nelson, A Connecticut college student died days after participating in a pancake eating competition.
Nelson was one of several students of Sacred Heart University who gathered at a Greek Life dinner Thursday night for the contest.
According to Fairfield Citizen, witnesses said Caitlin Nelson ate about four or five pancakes before she fell on the floor and started shaking uncontrollably. Caitlin Nelson was able to spit some of the food out, but was still choking.
Fairfield Police Department said officers responding to the scene tried to clear her airway but their attempts were unsuccessful.
Caitlin Nelson was taken to St. Vincent’s Medical Center in Bridgeport, where she was pronounced dead Sunday.
Lt. Bob Kalamaras said Nelson suffered from food allergies but it was determined that they were not a contributing factor to her death.
“It was a tragic accident,” Kalamaras said.
Nelson, who was majoring in social work, was the daughter of James Nelson Clark, a Port Authority police officer who died in the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center.
She was 5 years old at the time.
Students at Sacred Heart held a candlelight vigil Sunday night for Nelson.
Copyright”All Rights Reserved to